January is here and this is the time of year when energy and optimism tend to be high. You likely have created goals for yourself and your business, but knowing how to get started can sometimes feel overwhelming. Here are five tips to reframing your goals, so you can quickly take action and start seeing success.
- Alignment: Start by revisiting your core values. You want to be clear on who you are, what matters to you, and what you stand for. Then align your goals to your values. The goal achievement will be easier because you are doing work that matters to you and getting there in a way that feels aligned with who you are. It will leave you feeling more inspired and energized to keep pushing forward.
- Prioritize: The truth is you can’t do everything all at once. Don’t distract yourself by putting too many goals on your list. Narrowing down your main priorities will help you focus your energy and resources. Select between three and five key things that, when you accomplish them, will move you forward faster or more effectively than anything else.
- Plan: Break down each goal into small, actionable steps to lead you to the desired result. Work backward to make sure you have a realistic timeline and know what you need to do daily to stay on track. If you have a well-laid-out plan, you’re less likely to procrastinate and will see progress faster.
- Schedule: Now that you know what you want to do and why, it’s time to create better habits to support your success. Your calendar can be a powerful tool to keep you focused on what is important. Determine the times of day when you are the most productive and dedicate that time to working towards your goals. Schedule blocks of time to work on your business right to your calendar. Think of these deep work times as appointments with yourself and commit to keeping just like you would a client meeting.
- Start: There is no such thing as the perfect time or the perfect plan, so just get started. This is often the hardest part, so just complete the first task. Each action moves you closer to completion and gives you more information to move forward with. Be brave, take action.
Along the way, make sure to track progress and celebrate each milestone you reach. Recognizing small wins will keep you motivated and help solidify why you’re working towards your goals. Progress, not perfection, is always the key. Continue working on setting truly attainable goals so you can start fast and achieve your vision of success!
Empowered Leadership helps businesses find freedom through business coaching, executive coaching, assessments, and training.